Thursday, March 8, 2012

Names, what story does yours tell.

         Hello, My name is Ellen. Some of you Know me as Saphire Rainforest which is my model name. I am going to begin my first post with telling you why I chose that name. As you've probably guessed from my work, I lean more towards alternative modeling. I like styles like Gothic, Punk, Artist(not nude), and anything creative. I have noticed that a lot of alternative models use their nicknames, real names, or made up names for their modeling work. I have also noticed that a lot of their names tend to be striking, intimidating, fierce. They like to have names like Demon, Satan, Razorblade, Switchblade, dead doll, porcelain doll, disturbed, Vampyra, Pin up Doll, Aloha, etc. The list goes on and on. I like these names I have nothing against them but they lead me to believe that the model will be doing shoots mostly geared towards a few styles, which is fine too. Like when I think of a name like Dead Dolly, I think ooo pretty ghastly looking doll shoots. I have checked out Dead Dolly and She rarely ever does any Doll like shoots, but she is very talented. Or Demon for example, the name alone may imply anti religious and may be associated with modeling sites like satanic sluts or like the model Demonicunt.
I have checked out Demon, and she is one of the first black alternative models and she chose that name because its fierce and reflects her personality. I've read some of her interviews on voltcase.com  and mookychick.com. She is quite witty and creative.
Pasted Graphic 1.tiff ¨
Also with Dead Dolly, she chose that name because it was a childhood nickname given to her by her grandparents. See what I mean by names, they tell a story like art or literature. I want my name to tell mines.  Also see how these names may give you ideas about a person before you even bother checking out their work, reading interviews, or their blogs. I don't think people have the slightest clue of my interest before they check me out, if they are just going by the name alone.

Sapphire is my birth stone. I was born in september, in case you are not familiar with birthstones and the months they belong to. The problem is that Sapphire happens to be lots of models name, nick names, and a popular name in general. So I figure If I take off a "p" it'll make my name that much more different. Rain forest can be looked at in many different ways. I chose to look at it as both a having both a light side and a dark side, like I'm sure most people have. Rain forest can be seen as peaceful, calming, and the perfect vacation destination. They can also be one of the most dangerous places to be. They are filled with beautiful but deadly creatures like snakes, lions, flesh eating plants etc. I'm not a violet person, but I do tend to have an odd sense of humor and I'd like the idea of being thought of as beautiful, calming, peaceful, but can be dangerous all in one. It's kind of fierce and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment